Monday, December 26, 2005

7. MOVE TO EDGEWOOD

In 1939 Mr. Lee and Mom decided it was time to move out of our mill house and buy our own. They contracted with a Mr. Foster to construct a six-room house on Edgewood Drive for around $2,000.00. This turned out to be great, since for the first time in our life, we had ample room and no boarders. Mom and Mr. Lee shared one bedroom, Edith had her bedroom and Robert and I shared the 3rd one.

I learned the art of driving with friends on their cars. During this period, one could obtain a drivers license at the age of 14 with his parents consent. At the age of 14, I jumped right on it and got that license.
Sometime later Mom helped me purchase a 1929 Model A Ford. As I recall the cost was around $150.00. I would work on it all week using all my spare time in order to run it to death on the weekends. It was a great time in my life. We had little but enjoyed everything we had to the fullest.

Mom at age 40


During this period of time, just about everything was rationed due to the war and its needs. A family gasoline allowance was 3 gallons per week and was controlled by the issuance of stamps that one would apply for at the Ration Board office. A sticker had to be on the windshield of the vehicle to identify the allotment allowance. A large A identified a family sticker. This sticker was the same size as the inspection sticker in use today. If a vehicle was used for business purposes, then it was a B sticker and the allowance was 5 gallons per week dependant on the business requirements.

No comments: