Saturday, December 17, 2005

16. EDUCATING BEVERLY

Beverly was doing quite well in school and getting excellent grades. I recall when she was a junior in high school, I told her that I hoped by the time she became a senior I would be able to buy her a car. She started shopping the next day and within a month had the most beautiful 1965 ford mustang with bucket seats and four in the floor. She was extremely happy, as was I since I loved the car as much as she. My only regret was letting her get rid of it. It would be worth a fortune today if in the same condition as when purchased initially.

Figure 44 - 1965 Ford Mustang, one of the most popular cars ever.

After high school, Beverly did not want to attend college but Barbara and I insisted that she go at least one year and after that further attendance would be at her discretion. Once she got started, I was fearful she might become a ‘professional student’, since she loved it so much.

During her sophomore year, she and some friends rode up to Lake George in up state New York to work at a Y. M. C. A. conference center for the summer. We were worried about her driving that long distance, but she was so intent on going, we did not object. After a couple of weeks, however, we had reason to be concerned when the person in charge called me and advised that Beverly was in need of surgery to remove an ovarian cyst. He assured me that they had quality surgeons and it would be a simple operation. I spoke to Beverly and told her to pack for I would be there the next day to drive her home. Needless to say, she was very disappointed and pled with me to let her have the surgery up there. Of course, I said no and she began to pack. It was a long trip up there and I had to change planes several times and finally rented a car with still a good way to go. On arrival at Lake George, I had some spare time prior to the time set to meet Beverly so I rented a canoe and paddled out on Lake George which was and probably still is a beautiful place. I think I was probably the first and last person to canoe on Lake George in a three-piece suit and tie.

I met Beverly and several of her friends that evening and took them to dinner just over the state line in Vermont. This too was a wonderful and lasting experience that I will not soon forget. Early the next day, Beverly and I departed for home and after spending one night on the road, arrived in Danville. I took Beverly to visit Drake Pritchett, our family physician and scheduled the surgery. It came out fine and she was out of commission only for a very short period of time.

I had planned on my Coca Cola insurance covering everything, including the trip, the dinner and even the canoeing. I was shocked to learn that the moment Beverly became 19 she was off my insurance. I had a fit and although I had to pay everything. I was responsible for having the Company change the policy to cover any dependant of an employee so long as they were still in school.

During Beverly’s junior year at Averett College, I made another mistake by saying to her that I hoped by the time she graduated from college I would be able to afford a new car for her. As in high school, she immediately started shopping and in a short while, we traded the Mustang in for an Oldsmobile 442 with an Offenhauser engine and Hurst 4-speed. It was an awesome automobile that drank a lot of gas and cost a lot to just keep it up.


Figure 45 - Edith, Henry, Mom, and Robert in the early 1970s.

No comments: