Monday, December 5, 2005

29. FAMILY SUPPORT

It is impossible to evaluate the wonderful support I have received from my family. Barbara has been so kind and helpful and the things she accomplishes seem unbelievable. She has learned to mow the lawn and practically does the entire yard work that I normally would be doing. The sad thing on my part is that I love doing it myself and am unable to do so. I know it is a hardship on her but she just goes on and on without complaining.

Beverly has also been untiring in her support. She has called me at least once each day for everyday I was in the hospital. She visits often and offers up excellent advice. She seems to be willing to do practically anything that will be beneficial in my recovery and for that I am very thankful. She is truly a wonderful daughter. The only problem I have with her is that she continues to spoil me by catering to my every whim. Although I am appreciative, it is really not necessary for her to spend all her hard earned money on me.

Blain seems just as interested in my recovery, but obviously, does not have the time to devote that others do due to his responsibility of my three wonderful grandchildren. I was so appreciative of his taking me to U.N.C. and feel that, had I gone there sooner, I would be farther along on the road to recovery. During my stay at U.N.C. Hospital, Blain gave me one of my Christmas presents, an I. B. M. ThinkPad computer. He gave it to me before Christmas so that I could get started on this book. After I returned home, he installed a wireless Internet service so I could go on the web without having to go downstairs to my desktop. This has been very helpful in my recovery and for that, I am very grateful.

I would be remiss if I did not mention Woody Reeves and his efforts on my behalf. He has called me practically every day since he found out I had a problem. He is such a great friend. I know with all my heart there is nothing he would not do for either Barbara or me, as there is nothing we would not do for him or his wife, Rita. We feel towards them as we would our own family.

I also cannot emphasize enough the impact that our Pastor, Jason Barber, his Staff and the many members of North Main Baptist Church has had on my life. When I was hospitalized in Danville, I had more visits by them than all the patients in my section had combined.

Jason also visited me many times while I was in U.N.C. Hospital, as did Melvin Ryan, Neal Ferrell, Charles Haley, Silas Cooke and his wife, Virginia.

I also was delighted to have all the visitors from Blain’s Church, Good Hope Baptist. Jim Boltz, their pastor, as well as many of their deacons visited me quite frequently and their prayers were very uplifting.

As fate would have it, I had to return to the Danville Regional Medical Center Emergency room on Sunday, February 28 and was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. I was given a prescription and sent home. I had a follow up appointment on Tuesday with my pulmonary doctor who suggested I check into the hospital for a bronchoscopy. I checked in on Tuesday and out on Friday morning so I could keep my appointment with Doctor Howard at U.N.C that was scheduled for 10:30 a.m.

During this visit Doctor Howard asked that I check in at the U.N.C hospital on Sunday for a two-week stay in order to have six plasma exchanges.

It would appear that most probably a major portion of my life might be spent in hospitals, which is a dreary thought. I can only hope and trust that God will grant me enough time to watch my grandchildren grow up to be the fine young men I know they are destined to be.

This book has been written as a special tribute to my three wonderful grandchildren and my entire family. It was not written to be sold but to be distributed free to any family member requesting a copy.
Barbara asked me if she might add an addendum to my book and of course I agreed. Following are her exact words as she requested of me.

No comments: