Thursday, December 22, 2005

12. WHAT TO DO NOW THAT I’M HOME

After lounging around for a week or two, I had to decide what I was to do with my life. My old girl friend, Barbara Dellinger, had married before I got home, so I was shopping for a girlfriend. I dated several, but found no one I felt comfortable with for a long relationship. I went to the Coca-Cola Company and was advised they would not rehire me because of the manner in which I left (giving such short notice). I was unhappy about that since I really loved the soft drink business or at least thought I could have a good future there. After this turn down, I went to the Nehi Bottling Company, which was located just down the street from Coca-Cola. I was interviewed by Bob Pettit, the sales manager, and was hired as a route man. This turned out to be a great job, although it was much harder than Coca-Cola since the drinks were twice as heavy. The pay was great by comparison; they had a bonus plan that was dependant on the number of cases of beverages you sold. They paid the bonus at the end of the year. My first bonus was $1,750.00, which was more than my total pay would have been at Coca-Cola. Another advantage was Hosea Wilson, the owner. He was also Mayor of Danville at the time. He had a cabin at a place called Wildwood and every six months or so would take all the route men down there for steaks, booze, and poker. The up-side of this was you kept what you won from him, but he gave you back any amount you lost. Now that’s the kind of poker one should play if one should play at all!

Although it was enjoyable working at Nehi, I still felt my future should be with Coca-Cola. To make this happen, I contacted Randy Boswell who was a supervisor at the time and asked if he would help me get back with them. He agreed and several weeks later, I had an interview with Mr. Whitehurst who proceeded to tell me that he wanted me back although Mr. Ray, the owner, was dead set against it. It took several more weeks, but I finally was rehired and gave Nehi my one-week notice.

I was put back on route number one in downtown Danville. This route was still the hardest, but had the luxury of a paid helper. On some days we would distribute five full truckloads for a total of 720 cases. These were all 6 ½ ounce bottles since Coca-Cola only had that size and did not distribute larger sizes until the early 1950s. All these were loaded and the empty bottles unloaded by hand, we did not have the luxury of forklifts.

In early 1948, I was promoted to route supervisor and Randy Boswell was promoted to sales manager. At this time, Mr. Whitehurst was named vice- president, and I felt well on the way to establishing my future.

Part of our duties included working the Danville Fair each year. This was hard work and long hours. We would usually have a team on hand when the fair closed to assure we would collect all the money owed for Coca-Colas.

During this time period, I developed sincere friendships with many at Coca- Cola. Most of these friendships lasted for years and include Dorothy Collie (formerly Dorothy Pryor), who married a friend and fellow employee, David Collie. They live in the Ringgold area and have two children, Diane and Lisa. Dot and I still occasionally talk on the phone to recall old times. It is most unfortunate that David now has Alzheimer’s disease, is hospitalized, and not in good condition at all. It has been very hard on Dorothy as it would be with anyone partnered with an Alzheimer patient.

Figure 23 - We did enjoy some of the events such as the one pictured here portraying us as being in jail. Pictured left to right: C. D. Ragsdale, Henry Dillard, Calvin Neal and Red Shelton.

They also include Agnes Ragland who was the receptionist for many years. She was a special friend that passed away in the late 1970s. It was regrettable, but Agnes never married and she would have made someone a wonderful wife.

Also included would be Russell Neely. Russell served as treasurer of Danville Coca-Cola and was a true friend. He retired in Lynchburg and Barbara and I visited him and his wife, Grace on a regular basis prior to his passing that occurred in the mid-1990s. Russell was an outstanding citizen and words expressed here cannot begin to give him enough credit for all he, as well as Grace, did for so many people.

There were so many special friendships developed at Coca-Cola that makes it impossible to write a detailed description of them all. However, I will name a few more of them here without the details.
Jack Setliff was a co-supervisor, is now retired from the Commissioner of Revenue’s office and remains a close friend and golf partner.

Pat Wilson worked in the office and is still living in Danville.

Roger Richardson worked as checker and passed away recently.

Red Shelton worked as trailer driver and lives in the Danville area.

Lester Richmond worked as trailer driver and passed away in the early 1990s.

Jimmy Ray, Jr. was one of the heirs to Coca-Cola passed away in the late 1960s.

Newton Ray was one of the heirs and is living in Danville in his parent’s former home.

James Patterson was plant superintendent and passed away in the late 1950s.

Garland Hall, plant manager, Eden, N. C. passed away in the 1960s.

Louie Seabolt, plant manager, South Boston, Va. Passed away in the 1960s.

Roy Walker, plant manager, Chase City, Va. Passed away in the 1960s.

Randy Boswell, sales manager, Danville, Va. Passed away in the 1960s.

J. T. Whitehurst, president, Danville Coca-Cola and Southeast Vendors, passed away in the late 1990s. I was fortunate in the fact that he left me a small inheritance that I used to purchase a new computer.

Of course there are many more too numerous to list here, but they were all very special to me and I will never forget the special relationships I had with all of them.

No comments: