Friday, October 17, 2014

At UNC Hospital

Here I am again! Well, I was scheduled to check in here at UNC hospitals on the 24th of October when suddenly, on Friday the 10th, I became so weak that I contacted Dr. Howard, my Myasthenia Gravis physician and was advised to come to the ER here. On Monday, the 13th they put a catheter in my veins in order to begin plasma exchange on Tuesday. I am scheduled for six of those and they all should be completed by Friday, the 24th and I should be discharged that day. Can't wait for that since I miss my wife and home so much.

I am truly fortunate to be cared for in UNC hospitals. They have, without question the most professional care givers I have ever experienced. The training of everyone in this facility seems to produce people that truly care for the patients well being since they strive to accommodate every whim one might have.

I have an excellent relationship with just about all of them since, having been a patient here many times over the past 10 years I have come to know the majority of those that serve here on the sixth floor which is reserved for Myasthenia patients only.

In addition to the excellent care provided, the meals are  similar to what one would expect in a "high end" type restaurant. They have a wide variety of any type food one could possibly want. The best part is the fact that you can order anything on the menu at anytime day or night and it will be delivered to your room within the hour.

I was visited today by my lovely wife, Barbara who was driven here by my wonderful daughter, Beverly. We were all joined prior to lunch by by talented son Blain. It was a real great feeling to have us all together for a while. Blain, however, has visited several times this week and Lori, Blain's wife took my dirty laundry home, washed it and returned it.

I am so thankful that Lori, Blain and Beverly took the time to accompany me on walks around the sixth floor. Although I really have not felt that great, I realize I have to get some exercise if I am to regain my normal strength. 

I really miss home and Church, especially my Bible Class and am anxious to get back to a daily routine in Danville.

I feel a little distraught today since Herman Parker, a member of my Bible Class was buried. His funeral was at the Church [North Main Baptist] at 2:00 and I would love to have attended.


Just thought I would record this here while it was fresh on my mind.








No comments: